The Pre-Health Student Resource Center is here to help!
We are here to help you explore your health career options and give you the tools you'll need to prepare your application to a health professional program.
This starts with knowledge about yourself and your career choice, and is followed by an understanding of how to develop a holistic and competitive application portfolio. This also includes information about the application process itself, how to write your personal statement, and how to prepare for an interview.
We can help you get the information you need through career exploration courses, global seminars, information sessions and workshops, prerequisite and program information, our website, and more.
Take these steps to get you started in the right direction
Start with a self-assessment
- See if a health career is a fit for you through self-assessment. Think about your skills, interests, values, goals and more, before making your decision on which direction to take.
Explore different health careers
- Find out about the health professional programs at the University of Minnesota. Health careers outside of the University's academic offerings are also listed here.
Take a career exploration course
- Discover more about the different health career fields through a pre-health course, before taking the full plunge into a health career.
- Undecided about a particular health career? Take the AHS 1101 (or AHS 1102) Orientation to Health Careers course and learn about potential health career paths through guest speakers, learning assessments and self exploration.
Join a pre-health student group
- Thinking of a specific health profession already? Join a student group and meet other students with similar career goals!
- Take on a leadership role and discover a whole new you.
Learn more about a program- attend an information session
- Learn as much as you can about the process by attending relevant information sessions and events for various career possibilities.
Gain experience by volunteering
- Start volunteering to determine what you like about the field and expand your horizons.
- Learn about the professional roles you would like to hold one day, by being in that health professional environment you seek.
- Learn about why volunteering is such an important part of your application to a health professional school.
Get help with an online workshop
- Get tips about writing your personal statement for application to a health professional school.
- Learn how to best prepare for the interview you may have as part of the process.
- Planning on Medical School? Take the planning for medical school online workshop designed to specifically guide you through, interviewing, and gaining experience for a health career.
- Going abroad? Learn about what you should do and should not do abroad in Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety.