The Health Careers Fair is a great opportunity for students interested in health careers to explore degree programs, valuable experiential opportunities, and pre-health clubs on campus to start building their network.
The 2023 Health Carers Fair will take place from on Tuesday, October 3rd from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m. in the Coffman Great Hall. Click here to view the full list of exhibitors!
Students can pre-register in Handshake by clicking the button below:
There are 4 main categories of exhibitors that you will find at the Health Careers Fair.
- UMN health degree programs (undergraduate, graduate, professional, certificates, etc.)
- UMN pre-health student organizations
- UMN departments that provide valuable experiences or support, e.g. Learning Abroad Center, Center for Community Engaged Learning, Office of Undergraduate Research, etc.
- Twin Cities organizations that offer volunteering, internship, or employment opportunities for pre-health students (scribing, hospital volunteering, community service, etc.)
If you have any questions about the Health Careers Fair, please contact us at [email protected].
Prepare for the Health Careers Fair
Register and Student Sign-In
Student pre-registration for the Health Careers Fair is now open in Handshake. Pre-registering ensures that you receive fair-related updates and information.
There will also be onsite registration available at the event. You may be asked to swipe your card even if you have pre-registered in advance.
We encourage you to take some time and research the exhibitors registered for the event. You might know exactly who you want to connect with at the fair, or maybe you are planning to learn about many different programs and organizations. You can find the full list of exhibitors for the 2023 Fair here. We also encourage you to visit exhibitor websites and take note of the following:
Health Degree Program websites
- Prerequisites courses
- Admission statistics
- Non-academic admissions requirements
- Current student profiles
- School or program mission
Organization and Student Group websites
- Mission, vision, and values
- Membership, volunteer, or employee requirements
- Upcoming events and activities
Getting to the Fair
The Health Careers Fair will be held in the Coffman Memorial Union Great Hall, located at 300 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455. The Great Hall is on the basement level, accessed by entering Coffman Memorial Union from Washington Ave, taking the escalator down one level, then turning left to walk behind the escalator. The Great Hall will be to your right.
What to Wear and Bring
- Casual attire is appropriate
- Bring a bag to carry resources and giveaways
- Come with an “elevator pitch!” Confidently introducing yourself and articulating your interests will help structure your conversations with exhibitors so they can provide you with the information and resources most relevant to you.
Planning for HCF Conversations
Consider asking the following questions to get the conversation started at the HCF:
Health Degree Program tables:
- What does the application review process look like?
- Is it advantageous to apply early in the submission window?
- Is “early decision” an option?
- What are you looking for in personal statements?
- What are you looking for in letters of recommendation?
- Can I submit optional essays or diversity or grade-explanation statements?
- How important is having research, volunteer, internship, and/or job experience prior to submitting my application?
Community and Volunteer Organization tables:
- What are your organization’s mission, vision, and values?
- How have students engaged with your organization in the past?
- Are there leadership opportunities for students volunteering/working at your organization?
- Where is your organization located?
Pre-health Student Group tables:
- How many students are in your group?
- What steps do students take to join your group?
- Are there membership requirements?
- Tell me about some of the activities members engage in.
- When, where, and how often does the group meet?
- What goals does the group have for this year?
Campus Resource tables:
- How does your office engage with students?
- What resources or services does your office provide?
- Where can I find your office?
The Health Careers Fair is a way to explore a wide variety of health degree programs from the UMN (undergrad, grad, professional), and learn about ways to develop a strong portfolio of experiences like pre-health student groups and community volunteer organizations.
Our other annual event, the Health Professional School Expo, is a place for students to network with admissions representatives from health professional schools from around the country.
Do you represent an academic health professional program or related field at the University of Minnesota, or a Twin Cities organization with volunteer, work, or internship opportunities for undergraduate students? If you would like to find out more about how to become an exhibitor, contact Siri Schroeder at [email protected] or call 612-624-6767.